We are seeking a number of talented and motivated PhD students at the Bacterial Synthetic Biology section led by Professor Morten Sommer at the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Biosustainability at the Technical University of Denmark.
The present opportunity relates to a recent grant obtained by the group to use synthetic biology to develop engineered bacterial therapeutics for the gut microbiome. The comprises PIs spanning preclinical through to clinical researchers and has as a goal to test these novel synthetic biology interventions in human clinical trials.
Responsibilities and tasks
• The candidates shall work independently on the development of high impact research projects. Accordingly, a significant workload is expected in order to advance projects successfully
• The candidates shall deploy or develop state of the art experimental and computational technologies to develop and test engineered microbes for delivery of therapeutic activities
• The candidates will work in a team to develop their independent project, while also contributing to projects of other team members
• The candidates will be responsible for the execution of all aspects of the project including both experimental and computational tasks; however, support is available for all aspects from fellow lab members
Expected starting date (flexible): April-September 2018.
Candidates should have a master's degree in engineering or a similar degree with an academic level equivalent to the master's degree in engineering.
Overall preferred applicants have excellent academic track record, solid research experience and is highly motivated towards developing new technology and making scientific breakthroughs.
The applicants should:
• have a proven track record within the fields of microbiology
• have demonstrated early in his/her career a capacity for innovation and excellence
• make this position his/her number one priority
• have a strong work ethics
• be a team player
The preferred applicants have experience working with synthetic biology and/or the human microbiome.
Approval and Enrolment
The scholarship for the PhD degree are subject to academic approval, and the candidates will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes of DTU. For information about the general requirements for enrolment and the general planning of the scholarship studies, please see the DTU PhD Guide: http://www.dtu.dk/english/Education/PhD/Rules/PhDguide.
The assessment of the applicants will be made by Professor Morten Sommer.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and an academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and appointment terms
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union. The period of employment is 3 years.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here: http://www.dtu.dk/english/career/meet-our-people/career-paths.
Further information may be obtained from Pr. Morten Sommer, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not send applications to this e-mail address, instead apply online as described below.
You can read more about DTU Biosustain at http://www.biosustain.dtu.dk
Please submit your online application no later than 15 February 2018 (Local time). Apply online at http://www.career.dtu.dk.
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
• A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
• Curriculum vitae
• Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
• Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system (see guidelines and excel spreadsheet here: http://www.dtu.dk/english/Education/phd/Applicant/Pre_acceptance-1-)
Candidates may apply prior to ob¬tai¬ning their master's degree, but cannot begin before having received it.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
DTU Biosustain is an international research center of excellence developing next generation cell factories and bioprocesses for sustainable production of high-value chemical compounds as well as protein-based products. The center uses advanced metabolic engineering techniques and computational biology ensuring efficient and cost-effective design and construction processes.
The center?s activities are a balanced mix of basic and translational research, complemented by an emphasis on business development to facilitate commercialization of new cell factories and associated technologies. DTU Biosustain offers state-of-the-art research facilities and assembles world leaders in the field thus offering a unique platform providing excellent talent development and career opportunities.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 11,000 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.Ansøg nu